The world of audio has seen a significant transformation in recent years with the advent of wireless technology. In this article, we will be reviewing one such marvel in the form of Bose SoundSport Free headphones, a product that has redefined wireless sound quality and comfort. As we delve into the features, design, and performance of these headphones, we will also explore the factors that make them a popular choice among audiophiles and fitness enthusiasts alike.
In the age of mobility and convenience, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones have emerged as a frontrunner, providing a seamless audio experience. Our review will not only dissect the technical aspects of these headphones but also share personal experiences and testimonials from users who have made them an integral part of their daily lives. So, join us as we embark on this auditory journey to uncover the magic of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones.
Table of Contents
Bose Soundsport Free product information
The history of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones can be traced back to the roots of the Bose Corporation, a company founded by Dr. Amar G. Bose in 1964. A pioneer in the world of audio and acoustics, the Bose brand has long been synonymous with innovation and excellence in sound technology. With a keen focus on research and development, the company has introduced numerous groundbreaking products over the years, with the SoundSport Free headphones being one of their most recent achievements in wireless audio technology.
The origins of the SoundSport Free headphones can be linked to the growing demand for wireless and portable audio solutions. As the technology landscape shifted towards smartphones and wearables, the market saw a surge in demand for wireless audio devices, particularly among fitness enthusiasts and active individuals seeking a seamless audio experience without the constraints of traditional wired headphones. Bose recognized this demand and set out to develop a product that would cater to this niche market while maintaining the exceptional sound quality for which the brand is known.
The development of the SoundSport Free headphones began with a rigorous research and design process. Bose’s engineers and designers collaborated to create a product that would deliver on both aesthetics and functionality. They worked on developing a comfortable, secure fit that would withstand rigorous physical activities while ensuring the audio performance lived up to the brand’s high standards. The result was a unique blend of ergonomic design and innovative audio technology, which would become the cornerstone of the SoundSport Free headphones.
Launched in 2017, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones quickly gained popularity among audiophiles and fitness enthusiasts. These true wireless earbuds were designed with an emphasis on providing an unparalleled audio experience, combined with a secure and comfortable fit, specifically tailored for those leading an active lifestyle. The headphones featured an IPX4 water-resistant rating, making them suitable for use in various weather conditions and during workouts, further enhancing their appeal to fitness-conscious individuals.
In the years following their release, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones have received numerous accolades for their performance, design, and overall user experience. As the market for wireless audio devices continues to expand and evolve, the SoundSport Free headphones stand as a testament to Bose’s commitment to innovation and excellence in the world of audio technology.
|Year of Manufacture||2017|
|Item Dimensions||1.25 x 1.20 x 1.20 inches|
|Item Weight||0.64 ounces (18 grams) per earbud|
|Special Features||IPX4 water resistance, Secure fit|
|Bluetooth Version||Bluetooth 4.1|
|Bluetooth Range||Up to 30 feet (9 meters)|
|Audio Codec||SBC, AAC|
|Battery Life||Up to 5 hours per charge (15 hours with charging case)|
|Charging Time||2 hours for earbuds, 3 hours for case|
|Quick Charging||15 minutes for 45 minutes of playtime|
|Controls||Physical buttons on earbuds|
|Price||Varies, typically around $200 at launch|
What is included in the delivery set?
The delivery set for the Bose SoundSport Free headphones includes the following items:
- Bose SoundSport Free wireless earbuds: The primary component of the package, these true wireless earbuds are designed to deliver high-quality audio and a comfortable fit for an active lifestyle.
- Charging case: This portable charging case provides additional battery life, allowing for up to two full charges of the earbuds on the go, and it also serves as a convenient storage solution.
- USB charging cable: A USB cable is included for charging the case, which can be connected to a computer, wall adapter, or any other compatible USB power source.
- StayHear+ Sport tips: The package comes with three sizes (S, M, L) of StayHear+ Sport tips, ensuring a secure and comfortable fit for various ear sizes and shapes. These tips are designed to provide maximum stability during physical activities.
- Quick start guide: A quick start guide is included to help users set up and start using their Bose SoundSport Free headphones with ease.
- Safety instructions and warranty information: The package contains important safety instructions and information about the product’s warranty, which users should review before using the headphones.
It is essential to check the contents of the delivery set upon receiving the headphones to ensure that all items are present and in good condition. If any items are missing or damaged, it is recommended to contact the retailer or Bose customer support for assistance.
What about design, materials, assembly?
Design, materials, and assembly of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones have been carefully considered to deliver a product that balances aesthetics, comfort, and durability. Let’s take a closer look at these aspects:
The design of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones prioritizes comfort and stability during physical activities. They feature a unique wingtip design called StayHear+ Sport tips, which ensure a secure and comfortable fit in the ear. The earbuds are also designed to be compact and lightweight, reducing the strain on the user’s ears during extended use. The physical buttons on the earbuds provide easy access to essential controls such as play, pause, volume adjustments, and track navigation, as well as call and voice assistant functions.
Bose has used high-quality materials in the construction of the SoundSport Free headphones, ensuring durability and longevity. The earbuds are made from a combination of plastic and silicone, while the StayHear+ Sport tips are crafted from soft, flexible silicone for maximum comfort. These materials are resistant to sweat and water, which makes the headphones suitable for use during workouts and outdoor activities.
The assembly of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones reflects the company’s commitment to quality and precision. Each component of the headphones, from the drivers to the battery, has been meticulously crafted and assembled to ensure optimal performance and reliability. The headphones feature an IPX4 water resistance rating, which means they have undergone rigorous testing to ensure they can withstand exposure to sweat and splashing water during workouts and outdoor activities.
Overall, the design, materials, and assembly of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones showcase the company’s dedication to delivering a high-quality product that offers a comfortable and secure fit, while providing an exceptional audio experience.
What about ergonomics and usability Bose Soundsport Free?
Ergonomics and usability have been key considerations in the design of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones, ensuring that users can enjoy a comfortable and convenient audio experience, particularly during physical activities.
The Bose SoundSport Free headphones are designed to provide a secure and comfortable fit for various ear shapes and sizes. The StayHear+ Sport tips, made from soft silicone, come in three different sizes (S, M, L) to ensure a personalized fit. The unique wingtip design of these tips helps to secure the earbuds in place, even during intense workouts or movements.
The earbuds themselves are compact and lightweight, reducing strain on the ears during extended use. Additionally, they are designed to sit comfortably within the ear without protruding excessively, maintaining a discreet profile.
The usability of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones is enhanced by their intuitive controls and user-friendly features. The earbuds have physical buttons that enable users to control playback, volume, track navigation, calls, and voice assistant functions without needing to reach for their connected device.
The headphones also boast a reliable Bluetooth connection with a range of up to 30 feet (9 meters), providing users with the freedom to move around without worrying about audio dropouts or interruptions. Moreover, the auto-pause feature, which pauses audio playback when the earbuds are removed from the ears, adds to the convenience factor.
Pairing the SoundSport Free headphones with a device is simple and straightforward, thanks to the voice prompts that guide users through the process. Furthermore, the Bose Connect app allows for easy management of connected devices, updates, and customization of settings.
In summary, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones prioritize ergonomics and usability, offering a comfortable, secure fit and user-friendly features that make them a popular choice among active individuals who require a seamless audio experience during workouts and outdoor activities.
What about connection, control and software?
Connection, control, and software are integral aspects of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones, contributing to a seamless and user-friendly experience. Let’s examine these aspects in detail:
The Bose SoundSport Free headphones utilize Bluetooth 4.1 technology for wireless connectivity, offering a stable connection with a range of up to 30 feet (9 meters). This allows users the freedom to move around without being tethered to their device, which is particularly beneficial during workouts and other physical activities. The headphones are compatible with a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
The SoundSport Free earbuds feature physical buttons that provide easy access to essential controls, such as play, pause, volume adjustments, track navigation, and call management. The right earbud also has a multifunction button that enables users to access their device’s voice assistant, such as Siri or Google Assistant. These buttons are designed to be easily accessible and responsive, ensuring quick and hassle-free control without needing to reach for the connected device.
The Bose Connect app, available for both iOS and Android devices, enhances the overall user experience by providing additional features and customization options. The app allows users to:
- Manage connected devices: Users can easily switch between connected devices, ensuring a seamless transition from one device to another.
- Personalize settings: The app offers options to customize headphone settings, such as auto-off timer, voice prompts, and more.
- Update firmware: Users can keep their headphones up-to-date with the latest firmware updates, ensuring optimal performance and access to new features.
- Locate earbuds: In case the earbuds are misplaced, the app provides a “Find My Buds” feature that helps users locate them using an audio signal or by displaying their last known location on a map.
Overall, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones offer reliable connectivity, easy-to-use controls, and a versatile software experience that makes them an appealing choice for individuals seeking a user-friendly and high-quality wireless audio solution.
How’s the sound quality?
The Bose SoundSport Free headphones deliver impressive sound quality, which is a hallmark of the Bose brand. They have been designed to provide an enjoyable audio experience, balancing various elements to cater to a wide range of listeners. Let’s examine the sound quality in detail, considering the bass, midrange, treble, and soundstage:
- Bass: The SoundSport Free headphones produce a powerful and well-rounded bass response that is ideal for listeners who enjoy an emphasis on low frequencies. The bass is not overpowering, allowing other elements of the audio to shine through. This quality makes them suitable for various music genres, from electronic and hip-hop to rock and pop.
- Midrange: The midrange frequencies on the SoundSport Free headphones are clear and well-defined. The headphones handle vocals and instruments with precision, resulting in a natural and engaging listening experience. The midrange is not overly emphasized or recessed, ensuring a balanced sound signature that caters to different tastes.
- Treble: The treble on the SoundSport Free headphones is crisp and detailed, providing clarity and sparkle to the overall sound profile. The treble is not harsh or fatiguing, making these headphones comfortable for extended listening sessions. The clear treble performance enhances the overall audio experience, adding a sense of airiness and space to the sound.
- Soundstage: Although true wireless earbuds are typically limited in their ability to reproduce an expansive soundstage, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones manage to create a sense of space and separation between various elements in the audio mix. The soundstage is not as wide as that of over-ear or open-back headphones but is still impressive for an in-ear wireless design.
In conclusion, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones deliver remarkable sound quality, with a well-balanced audio profile that caters to a broad range of music genres and preferences. The powerful bass, clear midrange, and crisp treble provide an engaging listening experience, while the soundstage, though limited by the form factor, still manages to offer a sense of depth and separation.
What about the energy efficiency and battery life?
Energy efficiency and battery life are crucial factors in the performance of wireless audio devices like the Bose SoundSport Free headphones. The headphones have been designed to provide a satisfactory balance between power consumption and battery life, ensuring that users can enjoy their audio experience without frequent interruptions for charging.
The Bose SoundSport Free headphones offer up to 5 hours of continuous playback on a single charge, which is in line with many other true wireless earbuds on the market. The included charging case provides an additional two full charges, resulting in a total of up to 15 hours of playback time. This battery life is sufficient for most daily activities, such as commuting, working out, or casual listening sessions.
The SoundSport Free headphones feature energy-saving technologies that help optimize battery life. For instance, the auto-off timer can be configured through the Bose Connect app to automatically power off the headphones after a set period of inactivity. This feature helps conserve battery life when the headphones are not in use. Additionally, the Bluetooth 4.1 technology used in the headphones ensures stable connectivity with relatively low power consumption, further contributing to the energy efficiency of the device.
The charging time for the Bose SoundSport Free earbuds is approximately 2 hours, while the charging case takes around 3 hours to fully recharge. The headphones also support quick charging, with a 15-minute charge providing up to 45 minutes of playback time. This feature is particularly useful for users who need a quick boost of battery life before a workout or a short commute.
Overall, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones offer satisfactory energy efficiency and battery life, making them a suitable option for users who require a reliable and long-lasting wireless audio solution. While there are other true wireless earbuds on the market with longer battery life, the SoundSport Free headphones strike a reasonable balance between performance, comfort, and battery longevity.
Comparison & Review
What are similar headphones in features and cost?
There are several headphones on the market with similar features and cost to the Bose SoundSport Free headphones. Here are two notable options:
- Jabra Elite Active 65t:The Jabra Elite Active 65t is a popular true wireless earbud option designed for active users. These earbuds offer a comfortable and secure fit, with IP56-rated water and dust resistance, making them suitable for workouts and various outdoor activities. The Jabra Elite Active 65t features a customizable equalizer through the Jabra Sound+ app, allowing users to fine-tune their audio experience. They provide up to 5 hours of battery life on a single charge, with the charging case offering an additional 10 hours. The price range for these earbuds is similar to the Bose SoundSport Free, typically around $150-$200 at launch.
- Apple AirPods Pro:The Apple AirPods Pro are another popular true wireless earbud choice with features comparable to the Bose SoundSport Free headphones. The AirPods Pro are designed for comfort and stability, featuring a customizable fit with three sizes of silicone ear tips. They also have an IPX4 water resistance rating, making them suitable for workouts and outdoor activities. The AirPods Pro offer active noise cancellation (ANC) and Transparency mode, providing users with more control over their listening environment. They deliver up to 4.5 hours of battery life with ANC enabled (or up to 5 hours with ANC disabled), and the charging case extends the total listening time to more than 24 hours. The Apple AirPods Pro were priced at around $249 at launch, which is slightly higher than the Bose SoundSport Free headphones but still within a similar price range.
Both the Jabra Elite Active 65t and Apple AirPods Pro offer features and performance comparable to the Bose SoundSport Free headphones, with a focus on comfort, durability, and sound quality. The choice between these options will largely depend on personal preferences, brand loyalty, and specific feature requirements.
Compare with similar items
|Specification||Bose SoundSport Free||Jabra Elite Active 65t||Apple AirPods Pro|
|Year of Manufacture||2017||2018||2019|
|Item Dimensions||1.25 x 1.2 x 1.2 inches||1.2 x 1.1 x 0.9 inches||0.94 x 0.86 x 1.22 inches|
|Item Weight||0.64 ounces (18 grams)||0.19 ounces (5.5 grams)||0.19 ounces (5.4 grams)|
|Special Features||Sweat-resistant, voice prompts||Sweat & dust-resistant, customizable EQ||ANC, Transparency mode, Adaptive EQ|
|Driver Size||Not specified||6mm||Custom high-excursion Apple driver|
|Frequency Response||Not specified||20 Hz – 20 kHz||20 Hz – 20 kHz|
|Impedance||Not specified||Not specified||Not specified|
|Bluetooth Range||30 feet (9 meters)||33 feet (10 meters)||30 feet (9 meters)|
|ANC Modes||None||None||Adjustable ANC|
|Audio Codec||Not specified||SBC, AAC||SBC, AAC|
|Battery Life||5 hours (15 hours with case)||5 hours (15 hours with case)||4.5 hours with ANC, 5 hours without ANC (24+ hours with case)|
|Charging Time||2 hours (earbuds), 3 hours (case)||2 hours (earbuds), 2 hours (case)||1-1.5 hours (earbuds), 2 hours (case)|
|Quick Charging||15 min for 45 min playback||Not specified||5 min for 1 hour playback|
|Controls||Physical buttons||Physical buttons||Force Sensor (touch control)|
|Price||Approx. $200 (at launch)||Approx. $150-$200 (at launch)||Approx. $249 (at launch)|
How do Bose Soundsport Free users describe their experience with these headphones?
Users’ experiences with the Bose SoundSport Free headphones tend to be positive, with many appreciating the combination of sound quality, comfort, and convenience that these true wireless earbuds offer. Here are some common observations and opinions from users:
- Sound Quality: Many users praise the sound quality of the Bose SoundSport Free headphones, highlighting the well-balanced audio profile, powerful bass, clear mids, and crisp treble. They appreciate the engaging and immersive listening experience provided by these earbuds across a wide range of music genres.
- Comfort and Fit: Users often report that the SoundSport Free headphones are comfortable to wear for extended periods, thanks to the StayHear+ Sport tips and the lightweight design. The secure fit provided by the wingtips ensures that the earbuds stay in place even during intense workouts and physical activities.
- Durability: The sweat and weather-resistant design of the SoundSport Free headphones is appreciated by users who frequently engage in sports and outdoor activities. They find the headphones to be reliable and durable, withstanding the rigors of regular use.
- Connectivity: Users generally find the Bluetooth connection to be stable and reliable, with minimal dropouts or interference. The pairing process is straightforward, and the earbuds can maintain a connection within the specified range.
- Battery Life: While some users find the 5-hour battery life sufficient for daily use, others wish for a longer battery life, especially when compared to newer models available on the market. The charging case, which offers additional charges, does help mitigate this concern for some users.
- Controls: The physical buttons on the SoundSport Free headphones are mostly well-received, as they allow users to control playback, volume, and other functions without reaching for their connected device. However, some users may find the buttons to be slightly stiff or difficult to press.
Overall, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones receive generally positive feedback from users, who appreciate the sound quality, comfort, and convenience that they offer. While there may be some minor drawbacks, such as battery life or button stiffness, the overall user experience is mostly favorable.
Pros and cons of headphones Bose Soundsport Free
|Positive Aspects||Negative Aspects|
|Excellent sound quality||Battery life could be better|
|Comfortable and secure fit||Button controls might feel stiff|
|Durable and sweat-resistant design||Bulky charging case|
|Stable Bluetooth connectivity||Comparatively larger earbud size|
|Intuitive physical controls||No active noise cancellation (ANC)|
|Compatible with Bose Connect app||Limited customization options in the app|
|Quick charging feature||Price might be high for some users|
|Wide soundstage for true wireless earbuds||Potential for audio-video latency|
In summary, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones deliver an impressive combination of sound quality, comfort, and convenience, making them an excellent choice for those seeking true wireless earbuds. With their well-balanced audio profile, comfortable and secure fit, and durable design, they cater to a wide range of users, particularly those who are active or engage in sports. The headphones offer stable Bluetooth connectivity and easy-to-use controls, enhancing the overall user experience.
However, there are a few drawbacks, such as battery life, button stiffness, and the lack of active noise cancellation. Despite these minor shortcomings, the Bose SoundSport Free headphones stand out as a reliable and high-quality option for those seeking an enjoyable and immersive audio experience in a true wireless form factor.
Our Review for Bose Soundsport Free
Bose Soundsport Free. Basic questions, basic answers
How to pair bose soundsport free?
Pairing the Bose SoundSport Free headphones with your device is simple and straightforward. Follow these steps to connect your headphones to a Bluetooth-enabled device:
1. Turn on the headphones: Remove both earbuds from the charging case. They will automatically turn on when removed.
2. Enter pairing mode: If you’re using the headphones for the first time, they will enter pairing mode automatically once they are turned on. If you have paired them before and want to connect to a new device, press and hold the Bluetooth button on the left earbud for 5 seconds until you hear “Ready to Connect” or see the Bluetooth LED blinking blue.
3. Enable Bluetooth on your device: On your smartphone, tablet, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, navigate to the Bluetooth settings menu and ensure that Bluetooth is enabled.
4. Locate the headphones in the list of available devices: In the list of available Bluetooth devices on your device, look for “Bose SoundSport Free.” If you don’t see it, refresh the list or wait a few seconds for it to appear.
5. Connect to the headphones: Tap on “Bose SoundSport Free” in the list of available devices to initiate the connection. Once connected, you will hear “Connected to [device name]” or see the Bluetooth LED turn solid white on the left earbud.
Your Bose SoundSport Free headphones are now paired with your device and ready for use. To connect them to a different device, follow the same steps, starting with placing the earbuds in pairing mode. The headphones can remember up to 7 paired devices.
Last Updated on August 25, 2023