When it comes to high-quality headphones, Beyerdynamic is a name that immediately comes to mind. Known for their exceptional sound quality and innovative design, Beyerdynamic has been a go-to brand for audiophiles and music professionals alike. In this review, we will take a closer look at one of their most popular models, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones. These headphones have been widely acclaimed for their outstanding performance, comfort, and durability, making them a top pick for anyone looking for a top-tier listening experience.
Table of Contents
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO product information
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones have a long and storied history that stretches back over 35 years. Originally released in 1985, these headphones were created as part of Beyerdynamic’s DT series, which was designed to offer high-quality audio reproduction for both music enthusiasts and professionals.
The DT 990 PRO headphones were developed to meet the specific needs of studio engineers and musicians who required accurate and detailed sound reproduction for critical listening and recording tasks. The headphones were designed to deliver a flat frequency response and high levels of transparency, allowing users to hear every detail and nuance in their music.
To achieve this level of performance, Beyerdynamic utilized a number of advanced technologies in the design of the DT 990 PRO headphones. These included their patented “Dynamic Transducer” technology, which provides high levels of accuracy and clarity across a wide range of frequencies, as well as a lightweight and comfortable design that makes them ideal for long listening sessions.
Over the years, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones have continued to evolve and improve, with updated versions featuring improved driver technology, refined acoustics, and enhanced comfort and durability. Today, they remain one of the most popular and highly-regarded headphones on the market, beloved by audiophiles, music professionals, and casual listeners alike.
|Year of Manufacture||1985|
|Item Dimensions||8.7 x 4.7 x 9.1 inches|
|Item Weight||9.2 ounces|
|Special Features||Open-back design, replaceable ear pads, coiled cable|
|Frequency Response||5Hz – 35kHz|
|Controls||3.5mm jack for wired connection|
What is included in the delivery set?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones come with a few items in the delivery set. These items typically include:
- The DT 990 PRO headphones themselves
- A coiled cable that is 3 meters long and terminates in a standard 3.5mm jack
- A 6.35mm adapter for use with audio equipment that has a larger headphone jack
- A carrying pouch or case to protect the headphones during transport or storage (this may vary depending on the seller or retailer)
It’s worth noting that the exact contents of the delivery set may vary slightly depending on the seller or retailer. Some may include additional items like a headphone stand or cleaning cloth, while others may only include the headphones and the cable. Be sure to check with the seller or retailer to confirm what is included in the package.
What about design, materials, assembly?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones feature a distinctive and stylish design that is both functional and comfortable. The over-ear cups are large and circular, and feature a sleek metal grille that protects the drivers while adding to the headphones’ aesthetic appeal. The headband is padded and adjustable, and the ear cups can swivel and tilt for a more customized fit.
In terms of materials, the DT 990 PRO headphones are constructed using high-quality components that are built to last. The headband and ear cups are made of a durable and lightweight aluminum alloy, while the ear pads are made of soft velour that is both comfortable and breathable. The cables are also high-quality and feature a coiled design that provides flexibility and durability.
The assembly of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones is done with great care and attention to detail. The headphones are handcrafted in Germany, and each unit undergoes rigorous testing and quality control to ensure that it meets Beyerdynamic’s high standards for performance and durability. The result is a set of headphones that are not only great-sounding, but also well-built and reliable, making them a top choice for music professionals and audiophiles alike.
What about ergonomics and usability Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are designed with ergonomics and usability in mind, making them comfortable and easy to use for long listening sessions. Here are some key features of the headphones’ ergonomics and usability:
- Over-ear design: The headphones feature an over-ear design that helps to reduce pressure on the ears, making them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
- Adjustable headband: The headband is padded and adjustable, allowing users to customize the fit to their liking. This helps to ensure that the headphones stay in place and do not cause discomfort or fatigue.
- Soft ear pads: The ear pads are made of soft velour material that is gentle on the skin and allows for air flow, preventing sweating and discomfort.
- Lightweight design: The headphones are relatively lightweight, weighing in at just 9.2 ounces. This helps to reduce the strain on the head and neck during extended use.
- Replaceable ear pads and cable: The ear pads and cable are both replaceable, making it easy to replace worn or damaged parts and extend the life of the headphones.
- Coiled cable: The coiled cable is 3 meters long and features a 3.5mm jack, providing plenty of length and versatility for different listening setups.
Overall, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are designed to be comfortable and user-friendly, with a focus on long-term use and durability.
What about connection, control and software?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones do not have any built-in connectivity options or controls, as they are a wired-only model. They connect to audio sources using a 3.5mm audio cable, which is included in the package.
As a wired-only model, the headphones do not require any additional software or drivers to work. They are compatible with a wide range of audio devices, including smartphones, computers, and audio interfaces, as long as the device has a 3.5mm audio jack or a 6.35mm jack with the included adapter.
The lack of built-in controls means that users will need to adjust the volume and other settings on their audio source device or amplifier. However, this also means that the headphones do not require any batteries or charging, making them a simple and straightforward option for those who prefer a wired connection.
In summary, while the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones do not offer any advanced connectivity or control options, they are compatible with a wide range of audio devices and are simple and easy to use.
How’s the sound quality?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are known for their exceptional sound quality, making them a popular choice among audiophiles and music professionals. Here is a more detailed look at the sound quality of these headphones:
- Frequency response: The DT 990 PRO headphones have a frequency response range of 5 Hz to 35,000 Hz, which is wider than most headphones in their price range. This allows for a more detailed and accurate representation of the audio signal, with clear highs and deep lows.
- Impedance: The headphones have an impedance of 250 ohms, which means they require more power to drive than most consumer headphones. This high impedance is intended for use with professional audio equipment and can help to reduce distortion and improve sound quality.
- Soundstage: The DT 990 PRO headphones are known for their spacious and immersive soundstage, which allows for a more natural and realistic listening experience. This is especially beneficial for music production and critical listening, as it allows for a more accurate assessment of the sound.
- Clarity: The headphones have excellent clarity, with a detailed and transparent sound that allows for a clear representation of each individual instrument and voice. This is achieved in part by the headphones’ open-back design, which allows for more natural sound dispersion and minimizes resonance.
- Bass response: The headphones have a deep and accurate bass response, with tight and controlled bass that does not overpower the rest of the frequency spectrum. This is achieved through the use of high-quality drivers and careful tuning.
Overall, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones offer exceptional sound quality that is well-suited for music production, critical listening, and general music enjoyment. They provide a wide frequency response, excellent clarity, and a spacious soundstage that can help to reveal details in the music that may not be audible with other headphones.
What about the energy efficiency and battery life?
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are a wired-only model and do not require any batteries or charging. As a result, they do not have a battery life or energy efficiency rating to speak of.
Since the headphones are designed to be used with professional audio equipment, they have a high impedance of 250 ohms. This means they require more power to drive than most consumer headphones, but they do not consume any additional power beyond what is supplied by the audio source device.
Overall, while the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones do not have any battery life or energy efficiency considerations, they are an efficient and straightforward option for those who prefer a wired connection.
Comparison & Review
What are similar headphones in features and cost?
Two similar headphones to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO in terms of features and cost are:
- Sennheiser HD 650: The Sennheiser HD 650 headphones are a popular choice among audiophiles and music professionals, with a similar open-back design, frequency response range, and impedance rating as the DT 990 PRO. They also offer a spacious and natural soundstage, excellent clarity, and a balanced bass response. The HD 650 headphones are slightly more expensive than the DT 990 PRO but are still considered a good value for their high-quality sound.
- AKG K702: The AKG K702 headphones are another open-back model with a similar frequency response range, impedance rating, and spacious soundstage as the DT 990 PRO. They offer excellent clarity and detail, with a slightly brighter sound signature that can be beneficial for some types of music. The K702 headphones are also slightly less expensive than the DT 990 PRO, making them a good option for those who want a high-quality open-back headphone at a lower price point.
Compare with similar items
|Specification||Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO||Sennheiser HD 650||AKG K702|
|Year of manufacture||2004||2003||2008|
|Item Dimensions||8.7 x 4.7 x 9.1 inches||10 x 4 x 12 inches||4.3 x 8.3 x 7.1|
|Item Weight||0.61 lbs||0.57 lbs||0.52 lbs|
|Special Features||Open-back design||Open-back design||Open-back design|
|Driver size||45 mm||40 mm||Varimotion 2-layer|
|Frequency response||5 Hz – 35,000 Hz||10 Hz – 39,500 Hz||10 Hz – 39,800 Hz|
|Impedance||250 ohms||300 ohms||62 ohms|
How do Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO users describe their experience with these headphones?
Users of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones generally have positive things to say about their experience with the headphones. Here are some common comments from users:
- Sound quality: Users praise the DT 990 PRO headphones for their excellent sound quality, especially for the price. They often mention the headphones’ detailed and spacious soundstage, clear and crisp highs, and powerful bass response.
- Comfort: Many users find the DT 990 PRO headphones to be very comfortable to wear, even for extended listening sessions. The headphones’ lightweight construction and soft ear pads are often cited as contributing factors to their comfort.
- Build quality: Users generally describe the DT 990 PRO headphones as well-built and durable, with a solid construction and high-quality materials.
- Open-back design: Some users appreciate the open-back design of the DT 990 PRO headphones, which allows for a more natural and immersive listening experience.
- Noise isolation: Some users note that the open-back design of the DT 990 PRO headphones means that they don’t offer much noise isolation, which could be a drawback for some users.
Overall, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are well-regarded by users for their excellent sound quality, comfort, and build quality, making them a popular choice for music enthusiasts and professionals alike.
Pros and cons of headphones Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
|Positive aspects||Negative aspects|
|Excellent sound quality, especially for the price||Open-back design means they don’t offer much noise isolation|
|Comfortable to wear, even for extended listening sessions||Some users find the highs to be too bright or sibilant|
|Well-built and durable construction with high-quality materials||Not very portable due to their large size and lack of folding design|
|Spacious and detailed soundstage with clear and crisp highs and powerful bass response||Cable is not detachable, which could be a drawback for some users|
|Open-back design allows for a more natural and immersive listening experience||Higher impedance means they may require a powerful headphone amplifier to drive properly|
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are an excellent choice for anyone looking for high-quality, comfortable, and well-built headphones with an open-back design. The headphones offer a spacious and detailed soundstage with clear and crisp highs, powerful bass response, and a natural and immersive listening experience. Users generally praise the headphones for their excellent sound quality, comfort, and build quality. However, some users note that the open-back design means the headphones don’t offer much noise isolation, and some find the highs to be too bright or sibilant. Additionally, the headphones are not very portable due to their large size and lack of folding design, and their higher impedance may require a powerful headphone amplifier to drive properly. Overall, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are a solid choice for music enthusiasts and professionals alike who prioritize sound quality, comfort, and durability.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO. Basic questions, basic answers
Does Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO need an amp?
While the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO can be driven by a mobile device or laptop, it’s recommended to use an amplifier to fully unlock their potential. The headphones have a relatively high impedance of 250 ohms, which means they require more power to drive compared to lower impedance headphones. Using an amplifier can improve the sound quality and dynamics of the headphones, making them sound more detailed and engaging. However, it’s not a requirement and the headphones can still sound great without an amplifier, especially when connected to a high-quality audio source.
Is 80 ohm or 250 Ohm better?
The choice between 80 ohm and 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones comes down to personal preference and intended use.
The 80 ohm version is generally easier to drive and can be used with smartphones, laptops, and other mobile devices without the need for an external amplifier. They also tend to have slightly more bass compared to the 250 ohm version.
On the other hand, the 250 ohm version requires more power to drive and may benefit from an external amplifier to achieve the best sound quality. They tend to have a more neutral and detailed sound compared to the 80 ohm version.
If you’re planning to use the headphones with a mobile device or don’t want to invest in an external amplifier, the 80 ohm version may be a better choice. If you have a dedicated headphone amplifier or plan to use the headphones in a studio setting where sound accuracy is crucial, the 250 ohm version may be the better option.
Are the DT 990 pros good for listening to music?
Yes, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones are great for listening to music, especially if you’re looking for headphones with a balanced and detailed sound signature. They have a wide frequency response range of 5 Hz to 35,000 Hz, which allows them to reproduce a wide range of frequencies accurately. The open-back design of the headphones also provides a spacious and natural soundstage, making them ideal for genres such as classical, jazz, and acoustic music.
However, it’s worth noting that the DT 990 PRO headphones have a relatively bright sound signature, which may not be suitable for listeners who prefer a warmer or bass-heavy sound. It’s always a good idea to audition headphones before making a purchase to ensure they meet your personal preferences and listening habits.
Thank you for taking the time to read our review of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones. We hope that this article has been informative and helpful in providing you with a better understanding of these headphones and their capabilities.
As the author of this article, I would like to encourage you to share your thoughts and comments on these headphones. Have you tried them out? What do you think of their sound quality, comfort, and overall value? Are there any other headphones that you would recommend for music enthusiasts and professionals?
Your feedback is important to us, as it helps us to improve our content and better serve our readers. So, please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts and comments below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Great review! I was on the fence about getting these headphones, but after reading your article, I’m sold. The sound quality sounds exceptional and the comfort factor is definitely a plus.