Table of Contents
Jaybird X4 product information
The Jaybird X4 headphones trace their lineage to an established endeavor by Jaybird to provide wireless audio solutions, particularly aimed at fitness enthusiasts. They’re part of Jaybird’s continuing endeavor to refine and improve their offerings based on previous models and evolving consumer needs. The Jaybird X4 is an evolution from its predecessor, the Jaybird X3, and is designed to cater to athletes and those with an active lifestyle, providing a blend of comfort, durability, and sound quality.
Jaybird was among the early adapters of Bluetooth technology for fitness-oriented audio gear. The success of the Jaybird X3 set a solid foundation, upon which the Jaybird X4 was conceptualized and brought to the market1. The X4 model carried the torch forward in Jaybird’s X series, embodying a legacy of wireless, in-ear headphones tailored for athletic and workout use2. Each iteration in this series aims at enhancing user experience, with the X4 model specifically boasting improved waterproofing features among other refinements34.
The design and features of the Jaybird X4 reflect a well-thought-out effort to cater to the demands of its target demographic. While detailed information on the exact origin and creation phase of the Jaybird X4 might not be publicly documented, it’s clear that they are a product of a continued effort by Jaybird to dominate the wireless sports headphones niche by offering refined and reliable products.
|Year of Manufacture||2018 (Released on August 30, 2018, though one source mentions September 2018)|
|Item Dimensions||24.2 x 27.5 x 13.0 mm|
|Special Features||IPX7 waterproof certification, customizable EQ via Jaybird app|
|Frequency Response||20Hz – 20kHz|
|Bluetooth Range||32.8 ft (10m)|
|ANC Modes||N/A (No information available regarding Active Noise Cancellation)|
|Audio Codec||AAC, SBC|
|Battery Life||Up to 8 hours|
|Price||$114 – $130 based on various sources|
What about design, materials, assembly?
The design of the Jaybird X4 headphones embodies a blend of aesthetics and functionality tailored for active users. Here’s a breakdown based on the available information:
Visual Appeal: The Jaybird X4s have undergone a minor visual overhaul as compared to the previous model, the X3s, offering a sleeker appearance with metallic accents. They are available in black, glacier white, or jade color options, allowing users to choose according to their personal style preferences12.
The headphones have been designed to provide a secure and comfortable fit, which is essential during physical activities like running or workouts. They can be worn over the ear, with the cable behind the neck, or with the cable dropping below, providing versatility in wearability23.
Water and Sweat Resistance:
They come with an IPX7 rating, making them sweat and weather-proof, a feature crucial for sports and outdoor use3.
Memory Foam and Silicone: These materials are mentioned in the context of the Jaybird X4, indicating their use in ear tips or other parts of the headphones that come in contact with the user’s ears, providing a comfortable and snug fit4.
The precise assembly process of the Jaybird X4 headphones isn’t publicly documented based on the available sources. However, the design elements and material choices reflect a well-thought-out assembly aimed at ensuring durability, comfort, and satisfactory user experience, especially for those leading an active lifestyle.
In summary, the Jaybird X4 headphones exhibit a design that is both practical and stylish, using materials that enhance comfort and durability, making them a suitable choice for fitness enthusiasts and athletes.
What about ergonomics and usability Jaybird X4?
The Jaybird X4 headphones have been crafted keeping in mind the needs of an active user, ensuring a blend of ergonomics and usability conducive for a variety of physical activities. Below are some of the aspects related to ergonomics and usability of Jaybird X4 headphones derived from various reviews:
- Fit and Comfort:
- The Jaybird X4 headphones offer a better fit compared to previous models, thanks to new tips and fins that promise a more secure and comfortable fit.
- They are described as having a solid, comfortable fit which is particularly beneficial during workouts or other physical activities.
- The headphones come with Comply foam earpieces and secure-fit fins to ensure they stay in place during workouts, enhancing the user experience especially during rigorous physical activities.
- The lightweight design of the Jaybird X4 headphones is acknowledged, which contributes to the comfort and ease of use, especially during prolonged usage.
- With an IPX7 rating, the headphones are sweat and weather-proof, making them suitable for outdoor and workout use.
- Adjustable Equalizer:
- The headphones boast an adjustable equalizer, allowing users to tweak the sound profile to their liking, thus enhancing the user experience.
- Wireless Connectivity:
- The wireless connectivity through Bluetooth provides an unencumbered user experience, freeing users from the hassle of wires, which is particularly beneficial during physical activities.
- Sound Quality:
- The sound quality is described as decent, which is commendable for sports headphones. This aspect of usability ensures an enjoyable auditory experience during workouts or casual listening.
In summary, the Jaybird X4 headphones exhibit a design and feature set that caters to users seeking a balance of ergonomics and usability, especially during physical activities. The comfortable fit, lightweight design, waterproofing, adjustable equalizer, wireless connectivity, and decent sound quality collectively contribute to a user-friendly experience.
What about connection, control and software?
The Jaybird X4 headphones come equipped with several features that enhance connection, control, and software usability:
- Bluetooth Connectivity: The Jaybird X4 headphones utilize Bluetooth technology to establish a wireless connection with compatible devices. This wireless feature enables a hassle-free connection, freeing you from the entanglements of wires, which is particularly useful during physical activities.
- Bluetooth Range: The typical Bluetooth range for these headphones is around 10 meters (32.8 feet), allowing for a decent amount of physical separation from the connected device without losing the signal.
- In-Line Remote: The Jaybird X4 headphones feature an in-line remote control that facilitates easy access to essential functions like play, pause, volume adjustment, and call handling. This remote control enhances the usability and accessibility of the headphones, especially on-the-go.
- Voice Assistant Accessibility: Some reviews mention the ability to access voice assistants through the in-line remote, providing a hands-free control option which is convenient for various situations.
- Customizable Equalizer: One of the notable software features of the Jaybird X4 headphones is the adjustable equalizer, available through the Jaybird app. This app allows you to tweak the sound profile to your liking, thus ensuring a personalized auditory experience.
- Jaybird App: The Jaybird app not only provides an adjustable equalizer but may also offer firmware updates, and other customizable settings to enhance the user experience. It’s a handy tool for tailoring the headphones to meet your preferences.
These features collectively contribute to a user-friendly experience, making the Jaybird X4 headphones a compelling choice for individuals seeking a balance of connectivity, control, and software customization in their audio gear.
How’s the sound quality?
The sound quality of the Jaybird X4 headphones is often lauded for being quite good, especially considering their sports-oriented design. Here’s a detailed breakdown:
The bass response is generally described as robust and energetic, which is crucial for keeping the rhythm during workouts or other physical activities. It gives a punchy feel to the music, making it enjoyable for bass enthusiasts.
The midrange is where some reviews mention a bit of a dip. Some users might find the mids to be lacking in clarity or slightly recessed, which could affect the overall warmth and naturalness of the sound. However, the customizable equalizer can help in tweaking the midrange to some extent.
The high-frequency response is typically crisp and clear, providing a good level of detail. It enhances the overall clarity and makes the sound airy, which is enjoyable in a variety of music genres.
Soundstage and Imaging:
Given the in-ear design, the soundstage may not be as expansive as over-ear headphones. However, the imaging is decent, allowing for a good perception of instrument placement within the sound field.
The headphones offer a good volume range, allowing for a loud output without significant distortion at higher volume levels.
The in-ear design provides a level of passive noise isolation, which helps in reducing ambient noise and allows for a more immersive listening experience.
One of the standout features affecting sound quality is the adjustable equalizer via the Jaybird app. This feature allows for a personalized sound signature, enabling you to boost or reduce certain frequencies to match your preferences.
The Jaybird X4 headphones provide a sound quality that is well-suited for a sports-oriented audience. The energetic bass, clear highs, and the ability to customize the sound profile through an equalizer make them a versatile choice for various music genres and usage scenarios.
In summary, while they may not rival high-end audiophile headphones, the Jaybird X4 headphones offer a sound quality that is more than satisfactory for their intended use-case and target audience.
|Criteria||Grade (Out of 10)||Remarks|
|Bass||8||Robust and energetic, suitable for workout and bass enthusiasts|
|Midrange||6||Some clarity issues, but adjustable with EQ settings|
|Treble||7||Crisp and clear, providing good detail|
|Soundstage & Imaging||6||Decent imaging but limited soundstage due to in-ear design|
|Noise Cancellation||5||Passive noise isolation, no active noise cancellation feature|
What about the energy efficiency and battery life?
he Jaybird X4 headphones offer a balance between energy efficiency and battery life, catering to the needs of users who require a reliable audio companion for their active lifestyles. Here’s a breakdown of these aspects:
- The Jaybird X4 headphones are advertised with a battery life of up to 8 hours on a full charge, which is quite decent for wireless in-ear headphones. This battery life allows for extended use, covering a good portion of the day, and is particularly beneficial for long workout sessions or outdoor activities.
- While the exact charging time may not be publicly documented, some reviews mention a quick charging feature. A brief charging period can provide a significant amount of playback time, which is convenient for users on-the-go.
- The quick charging feature is a significant advantage, where a short charge of about 10-15 minutes can provide around an hour of playback. This is especially useful when you’re in a hurry and need a quick battery boost before heading out.
- The energy efficiency of the Jaybird X4 headphones is enhanced through the use of Bluetooth technology, which is designed to consume less power while maintaining a stable connection. Additionally, the headphones may have power-saving features such as automatic power-off when not in use, further contributing to energy efficiency.
- The Jaybird X4 headphones provide a reasonable balance between battery life and energy efficiency, ensuring that users have a reliable audio solution for their active routines. The quick charging feature is a notable addition, providing a quick solution for users in need of a fast battery boost.
In summary, the Jaybird X4 headphones are designed to cater to the battery life and energy efficiency needs of active users, making them a suitable choice for those seeking a dependable set of wireless headphones for their daily routines.
Comparison & Review
- Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2
- Jabra Elite Active 45e
- Sony WI-SP510
- Plantronics BackBeat FIT 3100
- JBL Free X
- Skullcandy Indy
- Samsung Galaxy Buds
- Bose SoundSport Wireless
- Beats Powerbeats High-Performance Wireless Earphones
- Sennheiser CX Sport
- Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2:
- Price Range: Similar to Jaybird X4.
- Key Features:
- Sound Quality: Known for a balanced sound profile and HearID technology for personalized sound.
- Battery Life: Up to 7 hours on a single charge, with additional 21 hours from the charging case.
- Water-Resistance: IPX5-rated for sweat and water resistance.
- Touch Controls: Provides intuitive touch controls for playback and calls.
- Jabra Elite Active 45e:
- Price Range: Slightly higher price point than Jaybird X4.
- Key Features:
- Sound Quality: Offers good sound quality with a bass-enriched profile.
- Battery Life: Up to 9 hours of battery life, providing extended use.
- Water-Resistance: IP67-rated making them waterproof and sweatproof.
- Two-microphone Technology: Ensures effective noise reduction during calls.
Both the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 and Jabra Elite Active 45e provide a balance of sound quality, battery life, and durability, making them viable alternatives to the Jaybird X4 headphones. Each of these models has unique features that cater to different user preferences, whether it’s personalized sound, intuitive controls, or effective noise reduction during calls.
Compare with similar items
|Specification||Jaybird X4||Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2||Jabra Elite Active 45e|
|Year of Manufacture||2018||N/A||N/A|
|Item Dimensions||N/A||50 x 56 x 25mm (case)||N/A|
|Item Weight||N/A||Earbud: 5.1g, Case: 43.1g||29g|
|Special Features||Customizable EQ||IPX5, Customizable Controls||IP67-rated waterproof, 2-microphone noise reduction technology|
|Frequency Response||20Hz – 20kHz||20Hz – 20kHz||Speaker: 20Hz-14kHz, Microphone: 20Hz-20kHz|
|Impedance||16 Ω||16 Ω||N/A|
|Bluetooth Range||N/A||N/A||Up to 33 feet / 10 meters|
|Audio Codec||N/A||SBC, AAC, aptX||N/A|
|Battery Life||Up to 8 hours||Up to 7 hours (28 hours with charging case)||Up to 9 hours|
|Charging Time||2 hours||1.5 hours for earbuds||120 minutes|
|Quick Charging||N/A||10-minute charge for 2 hours of listening||15 minutes charging for 1 hour of battery|
|Controls||In-line controls||Touch Controls||Multi-function button|
How do Jaybird X4 users describe their experience with these headphones?
Users have shared varied experiences with the Jaybird X4 headphones. Here are some highlights based on their reviews:
- Sound Quality:
- Users appreciate the excellent and customizable sound quality of the Jaybird X4 headphones. They find the equalizer (EQ) settings via the app useful for tailoring the sound to their preferences.
- Design and Comfort:
- Many find the design well-crafted and comfortable for extended use. The headphones are praised for staying securely in the ears during activities, and users also appreciate the light and durable build.
- Water Resistance:
- The IPX7 rating for sweat and water resistance is valued by users, making the headphones suitable for workouts and other outdoor activities.
- Battery Life:
- Some users are not entirely satisfied with the battery life, although others find it long enough for their usage. The battery life satisfaction seems to vary among users.
- App Features:
- The accompanying app, which allows for sound customization through an EQ, is praised for enhancing the user experience.
- Durability Concerns:
- There are mentions of durability concerns, with some users experiencing the headphones ceasing to work after a short period. These users express disappointment regarding the lifespan of the product.
In summary, the Jaybird X4 headphones are largely appreciated for their sound quality, design, comfort, and water resistance features, although there are mixed feelings about the battery life and some concerns regarding durability.
Pros and cons of headphones Jaybird X4
|Positive Aspects||Negative Aspects|
|Excellent and customizable sound quality||Mixed reviews on battery life|
|Comfortable design for extended use||Durability concerns|
|Secure fit during physical activities|
|Light and durable build|
|IPX7 rating for sweat and water resistance|
|Accompanying app for sound customization|
In conclusion, the Jaybird X4 headphones emerge as a compelling choice for individuals with an active lifestyle. Boasting excellent and customizable sound quality, these headphones cater to a wide spectrum of auditory preferences. Their comfortable design, secure fit during physical activities, and the IPX7 rating for sweat and water resistance make them a reliable companion for workouts and outdoor adventures. The accompanying app further enhances the user experience by allowing sound customization.
However, they are not without their downsides. Users have reported mixed feelings regarding the battery life, and there are some concerns surrounding durability. Despite these issues, the positive attributes of the Jaybird X4 headphones largely overshadow the negatives, making them a worthy consideration for those seeking a blend of sound quality, comfort, and durability in their audio gear.
How do I sync my Jaybird X4?
To sync your Jaybird X4 wireless earbuds, follow these steps:
1. Make sure the earbuds are charged and turned on.
2. On your device, navigate to the Bluetooth settings.
3. Put the earbuds in pairing mode by pressing and holding the power button until the LED indicator starts flashing.
4. In the Bluetooth settings, scan for available devices.
5. When you see “Jaybird X4” or a similar name in the list of available devices, select it to begin the pairing process.
6. Wait for the devices to establish a connection. Once connected, you should see a notification or an indicator that the pairing is successful.
That’s it! Your Jaybird X4 earbuds are now synced with your device and ready to use.
What is better than Jaybird X4?
The Jaybird X4 is a popular wireless sports earbud, but if you’re looking for alternatives, some options you can consider are:
1. Jabra Elite Active 75t
2. Powerbeats Pro
3. Bose SoundSport Free
4. Sony WF-1000XM3
5. Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2
These earbuds offer similar features and sound quality, but it’s important to consider your specific needs and preferences before making a decision.