In a world of audio devices where the selection is seemingly endless, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones stand out as an exceptional choice for both professionals and casual listeners alike. In this article, we will delve into the features, performance, and design aspects of these headphones that have garnered them a loyal fan base among audio enthusiasts.
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones have been a staple in the audio industry for years, with a reputation built on their excellent sound quality, comfort, and durability. Our review will not only highlight the technical aspects that make these headphones a top choice for many, but also share personal experiences and insights from users who have come to appreciate the distinctive qualities of this iconic model.
As you read on, you will discover what sets the DT 770 PRO apart from its competitors, how it caters to various listening preferences, and why it remains a beloved choice for professionals and casual listeners alike. Whether you are a seasoned audiophile or just starting your journey into the world of high-quality audio, this review aims to provide you with an informative and engaging perspective on the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones.
Table of Contents
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO product information:
History of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
The history of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones can be traced back to the rich legacy of Beyerdynamic, a German company founded in 1924 by Eugen Beyer. Beyerdynamic has been at the forefront of audio innovation since its inception, playing a significant role in shaping the evolution of audio technology. The company’s dedication to providing high-quality audio products for professional and consumer markets has earned it a well-deserved reputation in the industry.
The origins of the DT 770 PRO headphones lie in the development of Beyerdynamic’s DT series, which began in the late 1970s. The DT series was designed to provide professional-grade audio equipment for various applications, including studio monitoring, broadcasting, and live performances. Among these early models were the DT 880 and DT 990, which featured open-back designs and quickly gained popularity among professionals for their accurate sound reproduction and comfortable fit.
Recognizing the need for a closed-back model to cater to a wider range of applications, Beyerdynamic introduced the DT 770 PRO headphones in the early 1980s. The closed-back design of the DT 770 PRO provided excellent passive noise isolation, making them ideal for use in noisy environments and recording studios. The headphones quickly gained a following among audio professionals, who appreciated the combination of high-quality sound, comfort, and durability.
Over the years, Beyerdynamic has continued to refine and improve the DT 770 PRO headphones, incorporating new materials and technologies to enhance their performance. Despite these improvements, the company has remained true to the original design principles that made the DT 770 PRO a standout choice for audio professionals and enthusiasts alike.
Today, the DT 770 PRO is available in various impedance options (32, 80, and 250 Ohms) to suit different audio equipment and usage scenarios. The headphones have also found a home in a wide range of settings, from recording studios and live sound stages to home studios and personal listening spaces. The lasting appeal and success of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are a testament to the company’s commitment to innovation, quality, and the pursuit of audio excellence.
|Year of Manufacture||Early 1980s|
|Fit Type||Over-ear, closed-back|
|Item Dimensions||8 x 4.3 x 6.5 inches (approximate)|
|Item Weight||9.52 ounces (approximate)|
|Special Features||Passive noise isolation, replaceable parts, durable|
|Frequency Response||5 Hz – 35,000 Hz|
|Impedance||32, 80, and 250 Ohms (available in three variants)|
|Bluetooth Version||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Bluetooth Range||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|ANC Modes||N/A (Passive noise isolation only)|
|Audio Codec||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Battery Life||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Charging Time||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Quick Charging||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Controls||N/A (Wired headphones)|
|Price||Varies depending on the seller and impedance variant, typically ranging from $140 to $200|
What is included in the delivery set?
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones delivery set typically includes the following items:
- DT 770 PRO headphones: The main item, available in the chosen impedance variant (32, 80, or 250 Ohms).
- Soft padded carry case or drawstring bag: For protecting the headphones during transportation and storage. The type of case or bag may vary depending on the specific model or production batch.
- Detachable cable: A single-sided cable, typically around 3 meters (9.8 feet) in length, with a gold-plated 3.5mm stereo mini-jack plug. The cable may be coiled or straight, depending on the model or production batch.
- 1/4-inch (6.35mm) stereo jack adapter: A gold-plated screw-on adapter for connecting the headphones to audio equipment with a 1/4-inch headphone output.
- User manual or quick start guide: A document with instructions on how to properly use, maintain, and troubleshoot the headphones.
Please note that the contents of the delivery set may vary depending on the specific model, production batch, or retailer. Some retailers or special editions may include additional accessories, such as extra ear pads or alternative cables. It is always a good idea to check the product description or consult the retailer for the most accurate and up-to-date information about the delivery set.
What about design, materials, assembly?
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones boast a robust and practical design, with a focus on comfort and durability. The use of high-quality materials and precise assembly ensure that these headphones deliver consistent performance and withstand the rigors of professional use.
The DT 770 PRO features a closed-back, over-ear design that provides excellent passive noise isolation. The headphones have a circumaural fit, which means the ear cups completely surround the ears, offering both comfort and noise reduction. The design is also optimized for long listening sessions, with a focus on minimizing fatigue for the listener.
Beyerdynamic uses premium materials in the construction of the DT 770 PRO headphones. The ear cups are made of durable, high-quality plastic, while the headband is constructed from spring steel for flexibility and durability. The ear pads are made of soft velour, which provides superior comfort and breathability, making them suitable for extended periods of use. The detachable cable is reinforced and designed to be resistant to tangling and wear.
The DT 770 PRO headphones are meticulously assembled to ensure consistent quality and performance. Many of the components, such as the ear cups, headband, and ear pads, are easily replaceable, which contributes to the longevity of the headphones. Beyerdynamic takes pride in the craftsmanship and precision of its assembly process, which is evident in the reliable performance and durability of the DT 770 PRO.
Overall, the design, materials, and assembly of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones make them a popular choice among professionals and casual listeners alike. The combination of comfort, durability, and excellent sound quality ensures that these headphones deliver a satisfying listening experience for a wide range of applications.
What about ergonomics and usability Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO?
Ergonomics and usability are essential aspects of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones, contributing to their popularity among both professionals and casual listeners. The design and materials used in these headphones ensure a comfortable fit, while their straightforward usability makes them suitable for various applications.
- Comfortable fit: The DT 770 PRO headphones feature soft, plush velour ear pads that provide a high level of comfort, even during long listening sessions. The circumaural design ensures that the ear cups completely surround the ears, reducing pressure on the listener’s head.
- Adjustable headband: The spring steel headband is both flexible and sturdy, allowing for easy adjustment to fit various head sizes and shapes. The padded headband cushion adds to the overall comfort and helps distribute the weight evenly across the listener’s head.
- Lightweight design: With a weight of approximately 9.52 ounces, the DT 770 PRO headphones are relatively lightweight, making them comfortable to wear for extended periods without causing fatigue.
- Passive noise isolation: The closed-back design of the DT 770 PRO provides excellent passive noise isolation, making them suitable for use in noisy environments or when recording in a studio.
- Detachable cable: The single-sided detachable cable allows for easy replacement if damaged or for switching to a cable of a different length, depending on the user’s needs.
- Cable options: The DT 770 PRO headphones come with a coiled or straight cable, depending on the model or production batch. Both options offer flexibility and ease of use, depending on the user’s preference and application.
- Impedance options: The headphones are available in three impedance variants (32, 80, and 250 Ohms), making them suitable for use with a wide range of audio equipment, from portable devices to professional studio gear.
- Easy maintenance: The replaceable parts, such as the ear pads, headband cushion, and cable, make the DT 770 PRO headphones easy to maintain, ensuring a long service life.
In summary, the ergonomics and usability of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are designed to provide a comfortable and convenient listening experience. These features make the DT 770 PRO a popular choice among professionals and casual listeners who require a reliable and comfortable pair of headphones for various applications.
What about connection, control and software?
As the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are wired, they do not feature Bluetooth connectivity, advanced controls, or dedicated software. The simplicity of these headphones is part of their charm and contributes to their focus on delivering high-quality audio without the complications of wireless technology.
The DT 770 PRO headphones come with a detachable single-sided cable, which connects to the left ear cup. The cable has a gold-plated 3.5mm stereo mini-jack plug, making it compatible with a wide range of audio devices, such as smartphones, laptops, and professional audio equipment. Additionally, the headphones include a gold-plated 1/4-inch (6.35mm) stereo jack adapter, allowing for easy connection to audio equipment with larger headphone outputs.
As the DT 770 PRO is a wired, analog headphone, it does not feature any built-in controls for volume adjustment or track navigation. Users must rely on their connected audio device or external equipment for controlling the playback and volume levels. The lack of controls on the headphones themselves contributes to their straightforward design, focusing on sound quality and comfort over additional features.
There is no dedicated software for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones, as they are analog and do not require any digital processing or customization. Users seeking to adjust the sound signature or apply equalization settings must do so through their connected audio device, external equipment, or third-party software.
In conclusion, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones prioritize high-quality audio and comfort over advanced connectivity, controls, and software. The simplicity of these headphones makes them suitable for users who prefer a straightforward listening experience without the need for additional features or customization.
How’s the sound quality?
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are renowned for their excellent sound quality, which is one of the key reasons behind their popularity among audio professionals and enthusiasts. The headphones deliver a balanced and detailed sound signature, suitable for various applications and music genres.
The DT 770 PRO provides a tight and controlled bass response, with a slight emphasis that adds warmth and depth to the overall sound. The bass is powerful without being overwhelming or boomy, ensuring that low frequencies do not bleed into the midrange. This makes the headphones suitable for music genres that rely on accurate bass reproduction, such as electronic, hip-hop, and rock.
The midrange of the DT 770 PRO is well-balanced and natural, offering a clear representation of vocals and instruments. The headphones have a slight presence boost in the upper mids, which provides added clarity and detail to the sound, without causing harshness or sibilance. The accurate midrange reproduction makes these headphones ideal for monitoring vocals and instruments in a studio setting.
The treble response of the DT 770 PRO is detailed, crisp, and extended, providing a sense of airiness and openness to the overall sound. The high frequencies are smooth and non-fatiguing, allowing for extended listening sessions without causing listener fatigue. The treble reproduction ensures that the headphones deliver a precise and transparent sound, which is crucial for critical listening and professional applications.
Soundstage and Imaging:
Despite their closed-back design, the DT 770 PRO headphones offer a spacious soundstage and precise imaging, allowing for accurate placement of instruments and sound sources within the stereo field. The headphones provide a good sense of depth and width, making them suitable for monitoring complex mixes and enjoying immersive listening experiences.
In summary, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones deliver excellent sound quality, characterized by a balanced and detailed sound signature. Their accurate bass, midrange, and treble reproduction, combined with a spacious soundstage and precise imaging, make them a popular choice among professionals and casual listeners who value high-quality audio performance.
What about the energy efficiency and battery life?
As the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are wired and analog, they do not require a battery or any form of power supply to function. Consequently, there are no concerns related to energy efficiency or battery life when using these headphones.
The DT 770 PRO headphones draw their power from the connected audio device, such as a smartphone, audio interface, or headphone amplifier, through the headphone cable. The impedance options available for the DT 770 PRO (32, 80, and 250 Ohms) are designed to accommodate a range of audio equipment with varying power output capabilities. Lower impedance models, such as the 32 Ohm variant, are more suitable for portable devices, while the 250 Ohm version is better suited for professional audio equipment or dedicated headphone amplifiers.
In conclusion, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones do not have any battery life or energy efficiency concerns, as they are wired headphones that draw power from the connected audio device. This makes them a reliable and convenient choice for users who prefer a straightforward listening experience without the need to manage battery life or charging.
Comparison & Review:
What are similar headphones in features and cost?
Here are five headphones that are similar in features and cost to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO:
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50x: The ATH-M50x is a popular choice among professionals and casual listeners alike, known for its well-balanced sound signature, durable build, and comfortable fit. These closed-back, over-ear headphones are suitable for studio monitoring, DJing, and casual listening.
- Sennheiser HD 569: The HD 569 is a closed-back, over-ear headphone from Sennheiser, featuring the company’s signature sound and comfortable fit. These headphones offer a balanced sound profile with a wide soundstage for a closed-back design, making them suitable for various applications, including studio monitoring and casual listening.
- Sony MDR-7506: The MDR-7506 is a long-standing favorite among audio professionals for its accurate sound reproduction, durable build, and comfortable fit. These closed-back, over-ear headphones are ideal for studio monitoring, broadcasting, and field recording applications.
- Shure SRH840: The SRH840 is a closed-back, over-ear headphone designed for professional audio engineers and musicians. These headphones offer a well-balanced sound signature with an emphasis on clarity and detail, making them suitable for critical listening and studio monitoring.
- AKG K371: The K371 is a closed-back, over-ear headphone that offers a balanced and natural sound profile, following the Harman target curve. These headphones feature a comfortable fit, foldable design, and detachable cables, making them suitable for studio monitoring, content creation, and casual listening.
Please note that the prices of these headphones may vary depending on the retailer and availability. It is always a good idea to check the current prices and read user reviews before making a purchase to ensure that the chosen headphones meet your requirements and preferences.
Compare with similar items
|Specification||Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO||Audio-Technica ATH-M50x||Sennheiser HD 569|
|Year of Manufacture||Early 1980s||2014||2016|
|Fit Type||Over-ear, closed-back||Over-ear, closed-back||Over-ear, closed-back|
|Item Dimensions||8 x 4.3 x 6.5 inches||11.4 x 10 x 4.1 inches||10.25 x 4.13 x 9.64 inches|
|Item Weight||9.52 ounces||10 ounces||25.28 ounces|
|Special Features||Passive noise isolation, replaceable parts, durable||Swiveling earcups, detachable cable, collapsible design||Comfortable fit, E.A.R. technology, detachable cable|
|Frequency Response||5 Hz – 35,000 Hz||15 Hz – 28,000 Hz||10 Hz – 28,000 Hz|
|Impedance||32, 80, and 250 Ohms||38 Ohms||23 Ohms|
|Bluetooth Version||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Bluetooth Range||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|ANC Modes||N/A (Passive isolation)||N/A (Passive isolation)||N/A (Passive isolation)|
|Audio Codec||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Battery Life||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Charging Time||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Quick Charging||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Controls||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)||N/A (Wired)|
|Price||$140 – $200||$120 – $170||$100 – $150|
How do Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO users describe their experience with these headphones?
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO users generally describe their experience with these headphones in a positive light, highlighting a few key aspects that contribute to their satisfaction:
- Sound quality: Many users praise the excellent sound quality of the DT 770 PRO headphones, noting the well-balanced sound signature, tight bass, clear midrange, and detailed treble. The sound quality makes these headphones suitable for a variety of music genres, professional applications, and critical listening.
- Comfort: Users often commend the comfort provided by the DT 770 PRO headphones, particularly the soft velour ear pads and the adjustable headband. The comfortable fit allows for long listening sessions without causing fatigue or discomfort.
- Build quality and durability: The robust construction and use of high-quality materials in the DT 770 PRO headphones receive positive feedback from users. Many appreciate the replaceable parts, such as the ear pads and cable, which extend the lifespan of the headphones.
- Noise isolation: The closed-back design and circumaural fit of the DT 770 PRO headphones offer effective passive noise isolation. Users appreciate the ability to use these headphones in noisy environments or during recording sessions without significant sound leakage.
- Value for money: Many users consider the DT 770 PRO headphones to offer great value for money, given their sound quality, comfort, and durability. They often compare the headphones favorably to other models in a similar price range.
However, some users may point out certain drawbacks:
- Portability: Due to their size and lack of foldability, some users find the DT 770 PRO headphones less portable than other options, making them less suitable for travel or commuting.
- Cable: A few users may express their preference for a detachable cable, which is not available in all production batches or models of the DT 770 PRO.
In summary, most Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO users describe their experience with these headphones positively, appreciating the sound quality, comfort, durability, noise isolation, and value for money. Some users may note minor drawbacks, such as portability and cable preferences, but overall, the DT 770 PRO headphones are well-regarded by a majority of users.
Pros and cons of headphones Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
|Positive Aspects||Negative Aspects|
|Excellent sound quality||Less portable due to size|
|Well-balanced sound signature||Non-detachable cable (some models)|
|Tight bass and clear midrange||Not suitable for wireless users|
|Comfortable fit for extended sessions|
|Durable build quality|
|Effective passive noise isolation|
|Good value for money|
In conclusion, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones stand out for their excellent sound quality, well-balanced sound signature, and comfortable fit, making them suitable for both professional applications and casual listening. With a durable build and replaceable parts, they offer great value for money, while the effective passive noise isolation further enhances the listening experience.
However, some users may find these headphones less portable due to their size and non-detachable cable in some models. Additionally, the DT 770 PRO is not suitable for those seeking wireless connectivity. Overall, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones have earned their reputation as a reliable choice for audio professionals and enthusiasts alike, delivering a remarkable combination of sound quality, comfort, and durability.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Basic questions, basic answers:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO which ohm for gaming?
For gaming purposes, the 32 Ohm version of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO would be the most suitable choice. The lower impedance allows the headphones to work efficiently with devices that have weaker amplification, such as gaming consoles, laptops, and smartphones. This ensures that you get a good volume level and sound quality without needing a dedicated headphone amplifier. However, if you plan to use a dedicated headphone amp or a gaming DAC/amp combo, you may consider the 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm versions for potentially better sound quality.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 32 ohm vs 80 ohm vs 250 ohm for my computer what to buy?
To decide which impedance variant of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is best for your computer, you should consider the audio output capabilities of your computer’s sound card or any external audio equipment you might use.
1. 32 Ohm: If you primarily use the headphone jack on your computer or laptop without any dedicated audio equipment, the 32 Ohm version would be the most suitable choice. This lower impedance variant can easily be driven by standard computer audio outputs, ensuring a good volume level and sound quality.
2. 80 Ohm: If you have a slightly more powerful sound card or audio interface, the 80 Ohm version could be a better fit. This variant may offer a somewhat better sound quality compared to the 32 Ohm model, but it requires more power to drive properly.
3. 250 Ohm: This version is best suited for use with dedicated headphone amplifiers or professional audio equipment. If your computer setup includes a high-quality audio interface or a headphone amp, the 250 Ohm variant would provide the best audio experience. However, it may not perform optimally when connected directly to a standard computer audio output due to its higher power demands.
In summary, for most users who plan to connect the headphones directly to a computer or laptop without dedicated audio equipment, the 32 Ohm variant would be the most suitable choice. If you have a more powerful sound card or audio interface, consider the 80 Ohm version, and if you have a dedicated headphone amplifier or professional audio setup, the 250 Ohm model would be ideal.
Why are DT 770 so popular?
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones are popular for several reasons that have contributed to their enduring appeal among both professionals and casual listeners:
1. Sound quality: The DT 770 PRO headphones are known for their excellent sound quality, featuring a well-balanced sound signature with tight bass, clear midrange, and detailed treble. This makes them suitable for various music genres and professional applications, such as studio monitoring and critical listening.
2. Comfort: These headphones are designed with user comfort in mind, featuring soft velour ear pads and an adjustable headband. The comfortable fit allows for extended listening sessions without causing fatigue or discomfort, making them a popular choice for both professional and casual use.
3. Durability: The DT 770 PRO headphones have a robust build quality, utilizing high-quality materials and construction. Many users appreciate the replaceable parts, such as ear pads and cables, which extend the lifespan of the headphones and make them a cost-effective investment.
4. Noise isolation: The closed-back design and circumaural fit of the DT 770 PRO headphones offer effective passive noise isolation, which is particularly useful in noisy environments or during recording sessions where sound leakage needs to be minimized.
Reputation and heritage: Beyerdynamic is a well-respected brand with a long history of producing high-quality audio equipment. The DT 770 PRO has been a staple in the company’s lineup since the early 1980s, which has allowed it to build a strong reputation among audio professionals and enthusiasts over time.
These factors, combined with their competitive pricing and broad appeal across different use cases, have contributed to the popularity of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones.
Do I need an amp for DT 770 250 ohm?
While the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm headphones can technically be used without a dedicated headphone amplifier, it is highly recommended to use one for optimal performance. The 250 Ohm version requires more power to be driven properly, and a headphone amp will ensure you get the best audio quality, volume levels, and overall listening experience.
Using the 250 Ohm DT 770 PRO directly with devices that have weaker amplification, such as smartphones, laptops, or computers with basic sound cards, may result in lower volume levels and a less satisfying audio experience. By pairing the headphones with a dedicated headphone amplifier or a high-quality audio interface with a built-in amp, you can fully utilize the potential of the 250 Ohm DT 770 PRO and enjoy an improved audio experience.